MC77 Biographical Sketch of Howarth
Part I: Boxlist
- U.S.S. Lexington, Log and Memorabilia, 1944-45, 1971
- U.S.S. Lexington Log (photocopy), 25 Oct 1945-15 Dec 1945
- Photocopy re Commander Thomas Anthony Ahroon.
- Howarth's notes re actions of U.S.S. Lexington, nd
- Correspondence with Rep. Paul Findley re copying of Lexington log at National Archives, 1971
- Letters to Mrs. Howarth: 8 April 1945; nd (p. 2 only)
- Letters of Congratulation and of Appreciation, 1955 (1 of 4)
- " " (2 of 4)
- " " (3 of 4)
- " " (4 of 4)
- Mayoral Election Brochures: "It's Time for Action!," 1955; "Springfield On Target!," 1959; "Lets Light Up Our Streets," 1966.
- Layout and estimate for new streetlights on Courthouse Square in Springfield, by Dean Wisleder, 1955
- Correspondence, 1956 (1 of 2)
- " " (2 of 2)
- Letters, 1952-58: (See Part II for detailed list)
- Letters of Congratulation and of Appreciation, 1956-58 (includes photocopy of letter from Senator Edward Kennedy, 1968)
- Letters, Clippings, Speeches, Memos, 1957-1987, (1 of 2): (See Part II for detailed list)
- Letters, Clippings, Speeches, Memos, 1957-1987, (2 of 2): (See Part II for detailed list)
- Clippings from Sun-Times, 1 Mar 1959, [re wife-beating rumor circulated by supporters of Lester Collins]
- Correspondence, 1955-86: (See Part II for detailed list)
- "Statement by Former Mayor Nelson Howarth...": Announcement of Candidacy, 18 Dec 1962
- "Much Ado About Something Or Let Them Come Unto Me and Suffer" [Collected Literary References to Lawyers], n.d.
- "Subjects I Desire to Write and Develop", list of topics, n.d.
- Trip to Peru sponsored by the United America Committee for Better Hemispheric Understanding: Correspondence and Clippings: Before, During, and After, 1964 (1 of 3)
- Peru Trip:... (2 of 3)
- Peru Trip:... (3 of 3)
- Peru Trip, Photos and Map of Lima, 1964; Illinois Municipal Review, April 1964 [with article re Peru trip].
- Development of Lincoln Home and Environs, 1963-71
- Abraham Lincoln Association, Banquet Programs, 1964, 1965, 1967
- Letters and Memos, 1964-68: (See Part II for detailed list)
- Martin Luther King in Springfield, 7 Oct 1965: Photos, Clippings, Speech delivered at AFL-CIO convention at the Armory; Howarth's comments on King's assassination, 1969; Pure-News issue on King, Jan 1989.
- Ordinances and Resolutions prohibiting racial discrimination in housing, Springfield, 1965-67
- Journal Editorial and WTAX Editorial on Lincoln Home, 1967
- Lincoln Home Historic Site: Correspondence re National Park Service, HUD, Congress, 1967-71
- Letters to Howarth from Significant People, 1966-71 (photocopies): (See Part II for detailed list)
- Farewell Speeches, Other Speeches, Radio Talks for Special Occasions, 1963-71: (See Part II for detailed list)
- Howarth Testimonial Dinner: Plans and Program, 7 Jan 1967
- Human Relations Commission, Civil Rights Matters, etc.: Correspondence, 1967-69
- Re-Opening Performance at Ford's Theatre, Washington D.C.,: Program, 30 Jan 1968
- State Crime Investigation of Gambling in Springfield and Sangamon County: Clipping and Telegram, January 1968
- "For Illinois 1968," Sesquicentennial Poem by Gwendolyn Brooks (2 copies, Autographed)
- Letter from Nelson Rockefeller (photocopy), 20 Aug 1968
- Letter from Louise A. Meyer re George Wallace, 25 Sept 1968
- Illinois Sesquicentennial Mansion Benefit Dinner: Program, 5 Oct 1968
- Personal Correspondence, 1969-71 [courtesy letters and routine personal business]
- Martin Luther King Memorial Service and Eulogy, 13 Apr 1969
- All-American City Award: Correspondence and Clippings, 1970
- News Releases re Lincoln Home Area and Model Cities Program, November 1967 and April 1971
- Booklet, "Tour of Historic Springfield", 1971
- J. Krohe Tribute on Howarth's Retirement from Office, n.d., Early 1971
- Abraham Lincoln Association, Letter and Minutes of 1972 Meeting
- Encomium, Springfield United Churchmen's Prayer Fellowship, May 1972
- Condemnation of Fitzpatrick Property (near Lincoln Home); Howarth's Protests, 1975
- Campaign Announcements and Endorsements, 1975
- Race Relations in Springfield, Anecdotes and Reflections, ca. 1985
- Memo form Mayor Houston re Open Meeting Act, December 1981
- Programs, Martin Luther King Memorial Breakfast: 1984, 1986, 1989
- Letter from Senator Dixon re Nicaragua, September 1986
- Abstract of Deposition on Civil Rights in Springfield, 7 Aug 1986 (Uncertified)
- Certified Abstract of Deposition on Civil Rights in Springfield, 7 Aug 1986
- Letter to Carlos Romero-Barcelo, Former-Governor of Puerto Rico, 1987
- Capital Airport Adviser (Souvenir Issue), 2 Nov 1987
- The Weekend Journal, 21 Oct 1988 (Cover Story on Howarth)
- Letters, 1987-88:
- Howarth, "The Challenge of a New Form of Government," 1987, endorsement of Ossie Langfelder as Springfield Mayor.
- Howarth to Helen Horn, 16 Oct, 1987, re Horn's property.
- Paul Simon to Mary W. Howarth, 21 Mar 1988, re Presidential contribution.
- News Clippings, 1989 and n.d.
- Document Fragments, 1989 and n.d.
- Howarth Obituary, Illinois State Journal-Register, 17 Oct 1991
Not in Folders:
- Supreme Court of the State of Illinois: Published Statements, Briefs, Arguments and Abstracts, 1950 (two books)
- Supreme Court of the State of Illinois: Published Statements, Briefs, Arguments and Abstracts, 1953 (five books and seven pamphlets)
- List of Radio Talks, 1967-70:
- Mailing List for Radio Talk Scripts, January 1987
- Radio and Television Talks (Delivered, Drafted and Proposed), 1955 (for detailed list see Part III)
- Selected Issues, 1965-71
- August 1967, November 1967 and February 1968
- May-August 1967
- September-December 1967
- January-June 1968
- February-June 1968
- July-December 1968
- July-December 1968
- January-February 1969
RADIO TALKS BROADCAST FROM WMAY
- February-June 1969
- October-December 1969
- July 1969-January 1970
- January-June 1970
- July-December 1970
- January 1970-April 1971
- January-April 1971
- March 1969-April 1971
- Selected Radio Talks, 1969-71, Parts I & II (also labeled "II & III"): "Purpose of Local Government: The Community - Executive Functions"
- Selected Radio Talks, 1969-71, Part IV: "Basic Local Governmental Problems Suggested Solutions"
- Selected Radio Talks, 1969-71, Part V: "Law and Local Government" and Part VI: "Federal-State and Local Government Relations - The Eternal Triangle"
- Selected Radio Talks, 1969-71, Part VII: "Civil Rights - Law and Order (and Justice too)" and Part VIII: "Civil Rights - Housing, Recreational and Educational Problems"
- Selected Radio Talks, 1969-71, Part IX: "Freedom of the Press - Local Government and the First Amendment"; Part X: "The New Illinois Constitution and Local Government"; and Part XI: "Review"
- Radio Commentaries Broadcast from WSSR, February-November 1985 (for detailed list see Part III)
- Radio Commentaries Broadcast from WSSR, May 1985-January 1987 (for detailed list see Part III)
Oversize Flat File:
- "Patronatos Tradicionalistas De America Diploma d Honor Y flor D Oro Amancay" (Lima, Peru, 1964)
Part III: Listing of Howarth's Radio Talks.