All Applicants: To properly evaluate your qualifications for this position, your online application must include a complete employment history detailing duties, education and certifications. Note that a resume cannot substitute for the information required on the official application form.
For full consideration, applicants must be residents of the State of Illinois.
College Transcripts and Veteran's Preference Eligibility: College transcripts and military discharge documentation (DD214, DD215, and NGB22) must be uploaded with the online application. Human Resources will not accept faxed, e-mailed, or hand delivered documentation to our office.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: December 5, 2014
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS: December 12, 2014
Failure to list or accurately describe work experience or failure to submit college transcripts by deadline date may result in an applicant not being admitted to the exam.
Minimum Starting Salary: $15.02 per hour
This position may require pre-employment screening pursuant to the UIS Pre-Employment Policy.
UIS is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer; persons with disabilities, women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Supervises, plans, organizes and monitors activities of the Circulation Desk during mid-afternoon, evening and weekend hours by providing customer service, determining borrower eligibility, assisting with issuance of patron cards, assisting patrons in determining holdings and location of library materials and assisting patrons with research needs or referring advanced research needs to the appropriate librarian. Serves as closing procedure supervisor on Fridays and main supervisor on Sundays.
- Serves as Student Assistant Coordinator. Communicates with Student Assistants to establish work availability, creates and maintains student employee schedules, monitors and approves shift coverages/switches and is responsible for collecting and signing student time sheets. Coordinates the hiring and training of new students and oversees disciplinary program and terminations as needed. Coordinates projects assigned to Student Managers and works with Student Managers to schedule and facilitate monthly meetings and training days.
- Oversees major shifting and maintenance of stacks in general collection and periodicals, including the training and direction for student assistants and is responsible for training Student Managers and other students to conduct shelf maintenance for special collections (legal reference, new/browsing, art browsing, etc.).
- Maintains circulation module of Voyager Integrated Library System, including creating and maintaining circulation calendar, running weekly patron loads and overseeing patron barcode clean-up procedures.
- Other duties as assigned and serves on library committees/taskforces.
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY A PLACEMENT OFFICER.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Any combination totaling 2 years from the following categories:
- work experience in a library or equivalent setting, performing duties comparable to those described in Level II of this series. For more information, please refer to http://www.sucss.illinois.gov/documents/ClassSpecs/spec4900.pdf.
- college coursework in any field as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- 30 semester hours equals six months
- 60 semester hours or an Associate's degree equals one year
- 90 semester hours equals two years
Personal Attributes Needed to Undertake Job:
- Knowledge, skills and abilities required in the lower levels of this series. For more information, please refer to http://www.sucss.illinois.gov/documents/ClassSpecs/spec4900.pdf.
- Ability to correspond and communicate effectively with internal and external contacts.
- Skill in training and supervising the activities of other staff or student workers.
- Skill in exercising appropriate judgment in decision making.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Ability to make independent decisions in handling library technical functions.
- Ability to interpret policies, regulations and standards while making adaptations to existing bibliographic and holdings records, creating holdings and item records or adapting other citations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt or verify complicated bibliographic or holdings records or to create complicated holdings records.
- Working knowledge of online databases and library system technology.
- Ability to identify sources and follow-up on detailed user requests.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to use productivity software.
- Knowledge of Voyager or other Integrated Library Systems.
- 1. Standing, walking, crouching and lifting.
To apply for this position, please apply online here.
To apply for a student position, you must apply via Career Connect.
To search other university postions, please visit the UIS Job Search page.